Monday, December 4, 2017

Morning Meeting



Each day we begin with our morning meeting. This is a very important time of our day where we get to greet one another, share something, do a fun activity and read the morning message. We also go over the job chart so everyone knows who is responsible for what. I also go over the schedule and what our day will look like so the students know in advance what we will be doing.

Image result for morning meetingMorning meeting is important because this is the time where we make connections with one another. I get a chance to learn about each student and understand the whole child. During this time, I learn about the student's family, their interests, and what they do outside of school. I find a way to make connections with each student and use that to build a relationship with them.

Image result for morning meetingWith one of my previous students, I learned that he loved playing basketball. During morning meeting, I found out that his parents coach, just like I do. I also learned that his aunt played for the gophers and was one of my favorite players! Right away we made a connection and built our relationship by talking about basketball and sports. From that moment, this little boy started to talk to me and share about his life. We built a trust between us which made school and learning enjoyable for him. I had this student two years ago and he still comes by my room almost every day to say hi and tell me about this life. I have also gone to watch him play at one of his basketball tournaments. He was so happy that I came to watch that we took a picture and he wrote me a nice thank you note. This student has made a positive impact on me and I believe I have made a difference in his life too!

2 comments:

  1. Morning meetings can be a great way to learn about everyone in class. Those connections are so much fun to make and can create lasting impacts in each of your lives. There are always those connections, and we just need to dig until we are able to find them in each student. When these are found, instant relationships are developed.

    ReplyDelete