Sunday, May 14, 2017

#millennials

Image result for millennials

Social media is changing our world. When you are at stores, restaurants, sporting events, etc.  you often see people on their phones like the above picture. There is more communicating over social media than there is in person. 

Did you know that social media gives our bodies doses of dopamine? Today we are addicted to getting "likes" and "snaps" back to feel a sense of belonging. But, do we really feel the love and fulfillment in life from this? No, they only get an instant gratification but it does not help them build their self confidence. Social media is addictive and it is something that needs to be balanced in our lives. 

In my classroom, I want to teach my students the importance of creating relationships with one another. In the elementary setting, we are big on creating a community and building their social skills. I think this is important for the kids to learn. When it comes to technology, there needs to be a balance. Technology and social media is a great resource for the students, but it needs to be monitored and restricted so they don't become addicted. I provide my students with technology time but it is restricted to short amounts of time for each student and they are not using it every day in the classroom. Every week in my classroom, we have Fun Friday that is a time for the students to play. I have started letting my students go on the computers and ipads during this time, but I am no longer going to give them this option. Fun Friday needs to be a time where they are learning how to work and play with others, use their imagination, share ideas and thoughts, and build relationships. I am doing a disservice to my students when I allow them to play on the computers and ipads because they are not practicing their social skills during this time. 

According to the book, Top 20 Teachers, it is important for people to have a high EQ (Emotional Quotient). They explain that people who have higher EQs than IQs will be more successful. The emotional quotient is where people are able to connect to one another and understand each others feelings. If we allow our students to get addicted to social media, they will not develop a high EQ. We need to provide our students with opportunities to develop their EQ in school and this can be done by having restrictions and balance on technology. 

Image result for social media


1 comment:

  1. I wonder how we can measure joy and building relationships in our classroom? I wonder how you designed this blog?

    ReplyDelete