Sunday, May 7, 2017

You're Gonna Miss This





On the last day of school, I want my students to leave with memories that they will remember forever. I give each of my students their First Grade Memory Book that has class pictures, work they've done, and individual pictures from different parts of our year. We take time to look through the pages and remember the fun times we had. At the back of the book there is an autograph page for the students to sign their names in each other's books. I hope that this book will be something that the students keep forever and look back on to remember the people, learning, and experiences that they had. I want them to remember first grade as a fun and memorable year that had a positive impact on their lives.



My student's futures our so bright they have to wear shades! 
Yesterday was our last day of school and we celebrated by looking through our memory books and signing them. The kids loved looking through all of the different things we had done throughout the year! Then, we signed each others books! My students absolutely loved their books and I got many emails from parents about the book and how thankful they were for it! I will continue to do this each year! One thing I decided to add this year, was to have my students write a letter to next years 1st graders. They wrote about what to expect in first grade, what they should know about me as their teacher, and then gave them some advice for the year. These will go in each child's desk at the beginning of the year to read! Yesterday was a bitter sweet day- we are all excited about summer, but are sad that we have to move on and won't be together any more. There were a lot of tears, smiles and laughter and I will forever hold this class and each individual student in a place in my heart! I guess it's true that all good things come to an end. 

4 comments:

  1. Wow Jen, I wish that I was in your class! Those first graders are lucky to have such a wonderful keepsake. I can only imagine how excited they are to be able to look through their memory book that day. How many pages are in each book? I had a memory book for my kindergarten kiddos last year and surprised them with it, but it was very time consuming. How do organize your memory book and did you find it time consuming to put it together? What is your secret? Teach me your ways and I might be able to try it again next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Jen, I wish that I was in your class! Those first graders are lucky to have such a wonderful keepsake. I can only imagine how excited they are to be able to look through their memory book that day. How many pages are in each book? I had a memory book for my kindergarten kiddos last year and surprised them with it, but it was very time consuming. How do organize your memory book and did you find it time consuming to put it together? What is your secret? Teach me your ways and I might be able to try it again next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A memory and autograph book is a keep sake your students and their parents will cherish. This is indeed time consuming and I can tell that you do this because you love your students. First grade is such an anchor year and you are giving your students roots that will hold!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such a great idea! I used to do a slideshow and sent that home with the families, but it just got to be too much. I know the students will keep those and you will be seeing them as you start attending their graduation parties years from now!

    ReplyDelete